On May 15, Rounds announced an upgrade to the algorithm for the two-year-old app called Rounds, which allows people and friends of people to hang out and chat via video. It seems very similar to Google+ Hangouts or some of the other video chat platforms out there. The big deal is that it’s on Facebook, the largest social media platform ever, and has more functionality than it’s competition.
Rounds launched in 2010, and as of this writing had 626,337 Facebook “Likes”. The newest feature is the social matching algorithm, which, according to Rounds, “allows Rounds’ five million users to connect with their friends of friends and hang out with people they are most likely to find interesting.”
Another feature that makes this a little different than the more common platforms like Google Hangouts and Skype, is that you can play games and share content dynamically. Okay, you could share content on the other tools, but playing games with each other live with video… well now that’s just smart thinking on their part.
How Can Rounds Work For You
If you’re a business owner with a Facebook page and any number of followers, this could easily replace conference video chats, webinar platforms, gaming applications – for learning and development, content, development projects, and more.
What are the business uses?
- Chatting with new clients or prospects: Leveraging tools like Rounds gives business leaders a chance to “meet” with new clients online before using costly travel to visit in person. Though you could accomplish this with other tools, such as Hangouts or Skype, neither will help drive traffic to your Facebook page.
- Creating Apps /Fan-Gate content specifically with and for groups: Rounds also gives you a chance to match like-minded professionals with you, and then allows you share “fan-gate” content with them via your Facebook page.
- Learning and Development: Rounds allows you to think about new learning and development applications to help team members learn together, while competing for the prize – the new client or engagement. Can you just imaging the new, fun way of learning that is right for your team’s goals?
- Interviewing: Imagine conducting a first- or second-round interview with a candidate using this platform? Sure, you may already be doing this with other tools, but just think if you have some type of “entrance exam” or screening “APP” to help identify the right candidates with the skills you need. Doing this before flying them in for the final rounds could help determine the final candidate pool. Priceless!
Tell Me More
Below are some stats according to the Rounds team.
- Uses platform data from more than 250 million sessions to align you with others with similar demographics, location, likes, history, and social graph.
- It is the only “communitainment” platform in the world, combining social apps and video chat into one platform.
- Launched in 2010, and has over 600,000 “Likes”.
How do I get it?
The Rounds Video Chat Facebook Application can be added at http://apps.facebook.com/chatrounds. For more information, visit http://www.rounds.com or contact Natasha Shine-Zirkel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you Using Rounds?
- Are you using Rounds in your business?
- What do you like about it and do you find it to be a valuable business tool?
- What tips do you have for others who may benefit from your experience?