Here is a list of pitfalls to be aware of and avoid when considering SEO tactics for your brand, website, content, and marketing efforts:
- Keyword Stuffing
- Irrelevant Keywords
- Quality trumps Quantity
- Slow website load times
- Overlooking SEO components – meta tags, alt tags, urls, image file names, etc.
- Duplicate content on other websites (e.g., buying newsletter content)
- Website design
- No SEO on your website
- Accepting low-quality guest blog posts
- Too many ads above the fold
- Cloaking (showing different content to the crawlers than what you show to the user)
- Paid links of all kinds, especially unreliable ones
- Not using Google’s Webmaster Tools
- Pull-Down navigation
- The same title and description tags on all pages
- Using “click here” for links
- Too little content on pages
- Not having a mobile-friendly site
- Spammy footer links
- Doorway pages and Linkbaiting (showing content other than what’s expected)
Tip: Watch “Whiteboard Friday” with Rand Fishkin from Moz for best-practice tips.
Need an SEO Audit?
Contact us if you’d like to schedule a free 30-minute consult to answer your SEO questions. We also perform a full-scale audit of your website pages, images, blogs, and content and provide reports on how to improve your site’s SEO.