If you own a small business and tackle your website and marketing yourself, this post is for you. Here is a nine-point, SEO checklist you can use to help your website, product, and brand gain online traction.
- Know your target market (buyer persona).
- Research keywords associated with your product, brand, service, and buyer (tools – Google AdWords, iSpionage, Twitter, Hashtagify.me, Moz.com, SEMRush, Wordstream).
- Research competitors’ keywords (SEMRush, iSpionage, Internet Marketing Ninjas). Find a great list of free, SEO tools here.
- Create local business listings on Google, Bing/Yahoo!
- Include relevant keywords on your website, local business listing, and social media. Use the keywords in titles, description, and keyword tags; image alt tags and file names; and in page and blog post content.
- Create unique, keyword-rich content to share on social media and marketing platforms.
- Leverage social media, hashtags, and keywords to expand brand reach & find new leads.
- Spend money on advertising to your target market leveraging keyword research and URLs with keywords in them.
- Ensure Webmaster tools are associated with your domain. Use Google Analytics Acquisition > Search Console > Queries report to view the keywords people are using to find your site. How-to video.
Now that you’re armed with the tools you need, set a schedule and begin working your way down the list.
What SEO questions or tips do you have?