Do you know what the content headline’s job is? Its only goal is to get people to click.
The rest of the work is up to the content developer to create content readers will want to read; videos people will want to watch; and podcasts your target audience will want to listen to.
What are the best ways to increase your headline’s click rate?
Here are five headline formats you can try on your next blog, email subject line, video title, or podcast hook.
- Numbers – According to BuzzSumo, number headlines using 10, 5, 15, and 7 outperform other numbered headlines. Next time you need to write a headline, try using numbers, e.g., “7 Ways to Prepare to Ask for a Business Loan”.
- Be Specific – Headline specifics can drive readers to click on your content, if it meets their direct need, e.g., “3 Ways to Reduce Your Payroll Taxes by 25%”.
- Ask Questions – Headlines with intriguing questions are a great way to increase clicks, e.g., “Do you want to retire from your business? Three Tips to Help You Start Planning for Retirement”.
- Urgency – These headlines draw readers in because they don’t want to miss out, e.g., “Tax Reform Changes Business Owners Need to Know Now”.
- You and Your – Headlines that reference the second person point of view makes the reader feel like you’re speaking directly to him/her, e.g., “5 Signs You’re About to Be Audited”.
Now that you know how to increase headline clicks, what will your next content headline look like?