When it comes to getting your smaller accounting firm found online, you might feel a little like David against Goliath. But, you don’t have to. There are many things you can do to get your firm in the spotlight, just like the big guys.
Here are several suggestions you can implement quickly to help increase your SEO impact.
- Know your target market. Not just simply identify them, but KNOW them. Who are they? Where do they spend time online? What type of media to they prefer to consume? The answers to these questions will help you to narrow your target market to only the people you want to attract, as well as some secondary and tertiary markets to consider.
- Identify one or two keyword phrases you want to be known for and create an online marketing strategy that supports those terms. All other efforts should be put on the back burner, so all SEO efforts can focus on those terms.
- Create content that is driven by those keyword phrases. For example, if you specialize in individual tax, create content that individuals rather than businesses would be interested in. Then, develop that content in the media format they consume most. Also, consider secondary media to blanket the target market with options on how to consume the content, e.g., video, written, graphics, images, podcasts, etc.
- Research your competition’s keywords using tools like iSpionage, io, SEMRush, and more to find out what terms your competition is using and leverage their best terms too.
- Research keyword phrases in your target market’s geographic region, using tools like Google and Bing Keyword Planners, Moz, and a few others. Thinking you know your target market’s terms and knowing it are two very different things. Arm yourself with the best information you can get about your target demographic and terms they use to find what you sell before tackling SEO on your site, store, social media, or marketing.
- Develop a social media and online marketing strategy that supports you and your colleagues as thought leaders in the topic of interest you want to be known for. That requires you to write content, share content, speak about the topic, create videos, etc. and share your thoughts, concepts, and ideas with your target market, as well as industry outlets.
Also view and share the video on this topic, which was featured at the 2018 Accounting and Finance Show.
Get the Infographic
Extra, Free Tip
Launch an online environment that your target market can use, and use easily. It might be a website, but does that site need to be mobile friendly? It might be podcasts, but do you also need scripts to accompany that to meet ADA requirements? It could be a video channel that gets shared on other social media platforms, but do you know which ones?
A lot goes into SEO and the process to pre-determine what, where, when, why, and how can take time. That time is worth it when you start getting the target market you desire to buy your goods and services.
- SEO Tips and Tricks to Getting Found Online
- SEO Keyword Activity Sheet
- SEO Campfire Songs and Smoke Signals
- Miss These 2018 Mobile SEO Concepts and Your Site Ranking Could Drop
- SEO Checklist for the Do-It-Yourselfer
- 20 SEO Pitfall to Avoid If You Want to Be Found Online