Do you want to share your company’s social media information each month without accessing your analytics account and creating the report manually? You can by creating an automated, custom report that will be emailed to the people you choose, each month, on the day you designate.
An account administrator needs to create a custom report using the following steps.
- Login to your Google Analytics account.
- On the left navigation bar, choose Customization > Custom Reports
- Add a Report Title, such as Monthly Social Media Report
- In the Report Content field, add a name for this new tab, such as Overview
- Choose the report type from Explorer (rows and columns similar to all analytics), Flat Table (looks more like Excel), or Map Overlay (geographic). See the report graphics below for a sample of each look and feel.
- In Metric Groups:
- Enter a metric title, such as Users if you want to see user information; or something else if you want to see other data, such as geography or device.
- Click on +add metric. Choose the column headings you want to see in the report, like Users, New Users, Sessions, Bounce Rate, Pages/Session, Avg. Session Duration, Goal Conversion Rate, Goal Completions, and Goal Value (the goal information will only display if you have goals set up in your analytics and on your website). See Tip #1.
- Dimension Drilldowns you’ll add Social Network
- Filters are optional and not needed for this report.
- Views – if you have multiple views on your account, such as Raw Data, Exclusions, or Inclusions, you can choose a view that report should reference. For example, in this screenshot, the view selected excludes my computer IP site visits.
- Click Save.
You will be presented with the data you requested. If it’s correct, click the SAVE icon in the top, right corner. Make sure the report is called what you’d like. Click OK.
To export the report, click the EXPORT icon in the top, right corner. This will only export the data one time; unless you click EXPORT more than once.
To Share the Report with Others
To share the new Social Media Report with others, simply
- Choose the SHARE icon in the top, right corner
- Enter each person’s email address you’d like to send it to (they do not need access to the analytics account)
- Choose the attachment format from PDF, Excel, or CSV
- Choose Frequency (once, daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly); then pick an additional field if it presents itself, e.g., monthly on the 1st
- Click Advanced Options and choose the number of months you want to share the report.
- In the white box, you can type a message.
- Click I’m not a robot.
- Click Send.
Where to View or Edit the Report
Once a report is saved it appears under Customization > Saved Reports. If you want to edit a saved report, go to Customization > Custom Reports; then click on the Actions>Edit button on the right.
What if I need to change the email sending information?
When the monthly report stops sending (I recommend putting a note in your calendar for this); you’ll need to modify the email to keep sending. To do this, while your analytics account is open:
- Choose Admin in the bottom, left corner.
- Go to the + Create View column (on the right)
- Scroll down to Scheduled Emails
- Click the email you want to modify, or choose the Actions button and click Extend.
If you’re unfamiliar with the column information you want to see, open a second tab for your analytics account. Go to Acquisitions > All Traffic > Channels to view the column you would normally see. When the + add metric is clicked, you’ll see a drop-down menu. Often you’ll simply want the items in the Commonly Used list. If the items you want are not on that list, you can start typing the name in the search box, or scroll through the list until you find it.
Now that you know how to create a social media report, there are dozens of other reports you might want to automate. Which will you do next?