Before you post anything on Facebook for your business, first ensure you have a company page, rather than a personal page on this social media platform.
Hootsuite offers this seven-step process for creating a Facebook Business page, which is free to do.
Tips about creating a Facebook business page:
- You must have a personal Facebook account before you can create a company page. Even if you don’t post anything on that personal account, you must create it.
- If you’re concerned about people finding you, make a new Gmail account and use that one for your company’s “personal login” account. That’s also helpful if multiple people will be posting to the account. They won’t have access to your real Facebook page.
Once the company page account is created, you’ll need to complete a few things.
- Profile image – make it something memorable about your brand, possibly the logo. The image should be square and fit within the current image guidelines (they change each year, so look it up).
- Cover image – this can be a promotional image, something about your brand, an image that shows something about your company’s culture or mission, e.g., volunteering, dog-friendly office, conferences, products, or services.
- Various sections about the page, such as contact information, website link, phone numbers, hours of operation, etc.
- Add some content to the page. This is when things get fun!
- Invite people to like your page. You can use an email list you have
Adding Content To Your Facebook Company Page
You can add a variety of content types to your company’s Facebook page, including videos, images, text, polls, contest links, ads, and more.
Below are the instructions for adding a post and a video to the page. If you want to do this from your phone, here is a video with step-by-step instructions.
- Login to your Facebook account.
- Go to your company page link on the left navigation bar.
- Tap the (…) menu under the box that says, “What’s on your mind?” This shows you all your options.
- Click the box to Post a photo/video.
- Locate your photo or video from your computer.
- Add your post’s copy, including the headline, some text, a link, and up to three hashtags. For example:
Learn How to Start a Facebook Post – Everything you wanted to know to create your company’s first Facebook post. [link] #FacebookTips #FacebookHowTo #SocialMediaTips
- Click Post.
Editing a Facebook Post
Once a post goes live, you can edit or delete the post by clicking on the three dots (…) next to the post.
Finding / Increasing Followers
One of the hardest steps about any social media platform is finding and engaging followers. I mean, your goal is to generate interest in your brand and is also probably to make money.
When you’re first starting out, create the post and then I recommend these steps.
- Add a link to your company’s new Facebook page in your email signature.
- Add a link to it on your website or sales and marketing channel, such as Etsy, in the header and/or footer area.
- Email your clients, letting them know you have a page; why they should follow you; and what benefit they will gain from following. Remember to include the link to your page.
- If you’re using other social media platforms, add a post about now also being on Facebook with a link to your Facebook company page.
Once posts start to gain engagement (likes, shares, and comments), you can simply click on the name of someone who’s reacted to your post to open the Invite to Like list. Here’s a video from eJenn Solutions outlining this simple process.
Now that you have the steps, what will your company’s first post be?
- Take Your Facebook Ads from Stagnate to Stardom
- Facebook Mobile Ad Changes Impact Your Marketing
- How to Write Compelling Facebook Ad Copy
- 9 Facebook Ad Best Practices
- Social Media Cover Photos that Generate Leads
- How to Create a Social Media Banner Using Canva
- What’s the easiest way for a small business to manage social media?