For several years, late-night talk-show host, David Letterman, provided “Top 10” lists featuring accounting topics, like:
- Top 10 Things I’ve Learned from Being an Accountant;
- Top 10 Reasons I Decided to Become an Accountant;
- Top 10 Ways to Annoy an IRS Agent; and
- Top 10 Things You Don’t Want to Hear from Your Accountant.
They made us laugh. They made us shake our heads in agreement. And, in some cases, they hit really close to home.
As tax season winds down, consider making your own “Top 10” video and sharing it on your social media channel and in emails to clients; then, adding a link in staff’s email signatures.
- Ask staff for some “Top 10” topic ideas.
- Choose the one that comes up the most, or narrow the topic to one or two and poll them to pick a choice.
- Ask several people in the office to participate in a Facebook Live or video recording to announce the Top 10.
- Edit the video to 2-3 minutes.
- Post the video on your website or YouTube channel.
- Share links to the video.
Tip: If staff doesn’t want to be seen in the video, but does want to be involved, consider using stock images, quotes, and a presentation tool that can save the file as a video.
Now that you have the idea, what would your “Top 10” list be?