If you’re targeting your audience by device, getting specific information from your GA4 reports might feel like pulling teeth. But, there’s a solution.
Here’s how to create a G4 Device Category Sessions Report.
This report displays the breakdown between Desktop, Mobile, and Tablet devices by session .
- From the left navigation panel, choose Tech > Overview.
- Change the report date in the top, right corner.
- Click the customize icon in the top, right corner.
- Click Save As a new report. Enter a new name.
- Choose the Cards you’d like to see. I keep my list short with just the Users by Device category; Users by Browser; and Users by Operating System. You can drag the Cards around to show the order you want to view.
- Click Save changes to current report. Refresh the screen to see your new report.
- Click the Back link in the top, left corner.
- Click Reports in the left navigation bar.
- Click Library at the bottom.
- In the Users Collections Box, click Edit collection.
- Scroll to find your report (it may be under Overview Reports) and then drag it to the Tech Topics and Reports area.
- Click Save to current location.
- Click Back. From your left navigation bar, you should see the new report under the Life cycle topic where it was placed.
View your new reports.
- Login to your Google Analytics Account.
- Under Properties and Apps, choose the GA4 view.
- From the left navigation bar, click the Reports icon (looks like a graph).
- In the top, right corner, change the reporting date to the dates you want to review.
- From the left navigation bar, choose the report you want to view. When you’ve found it, click the Share icon in the top, right corner.
- Choose to share the file via a link, or download the file as a PDF or CSV file. The file will save to your downloads folder.
Reports commonly viewed:
- Acquisition > Overview, Traffic Acquisition and Traffic by Channel and Social Media
- Engagement > Overview, Events, Content by Pages, and Campaigns
- Demographics > Overview, Demographic Details, and Traffic by Country/City
- Tech > Devices and Tech Details
Unfortunately, scheduled reports are unavailable in GA4—currently. So, you’ll have to email the reports when you need to share them. They are available as an email link directly from GA4, or you can download a PDF or CSV file and share it via your own email program.
Where’s my GA4 ID?
- Go to your GA4 property and click on “Admin” on the bottom left.
- Under “Property,” click “Data streams.”
- Click on “Web.”
- Click on your web data stream name.
- Your measurement ID is in the top right.