I like to view my GA4 geographic data by country and city within a particular county. However, the general location report shows all countries. If I add the city dimension it gives me too much information. So, I created a United States city report so I could see where my U.S. traffic was coming from the most, and where I needed to focus.
Here’s how to create a Traffic By Country/City GA4 Report.
This report shows you the data by a single country and it’s cities.
- From the left sidebar, click Demographic details. You’ll be presented with a traffic report by country.
- Change the date in the top, right corner.
- Then click the edit icon to customize the report.
- Click the Save button and save as a new report. Click Save.
- First, you’ll want to choose a dimension for country. To do this you’ll use a filter. So, click Add Filter in the right nav bar.
- Select the dimension Country (you’ll need to scroll). Select the next dimension value of the country for which you wish to filter the data, e.g., United States. Click Ok.
- Click Apply.
- In the first data column, click the blue +. Choose Geography > City.
- Click Save Change to Current Report.
- Click the Back link in the top, right corner.
- Click Reports in the left navigation bar.
- Click Library at the bottom.
- In the Users Collections Box, click Edit collection.
- Scroll to find your report and then drag it to the Demographics Topics and Reports area.
- Click Save to current location.
- Click Back. From your left navigation bar, you should see the new report under the Life cycle topic where it was placed.
View your new reports.
- Login to your Google Analytics Account.
- Under Properties and Apps, choose the GA4 view.
- From the left navigation bar, click the Reports icon (looks like a graph).
- In the top, right corner, change the reporting date to the dates you want to review.
- From the left navigation bar, choose the report you want to view. When you’ve found it, click the Share icon in the top, right corner.
- Choose to share the file via a link, or download the file as a PDF or CSV file. The file will save to your downloads folder.
Reports commonly viewed:
- Acquisition > Overview, Traffic Acquisition and Traffic by Channel and Social Media
- Engagement > Overview, Events, Content by Pages, and Campaigns
- Demographics > Overview, Demographic Details, and Traffic by Country/City
- Tech > Devices and Tech Details
Unfortunately, scheduled reports are unavailable in GA4—currently. So, you’ll have to email the reports when you need to share them. They are available as an email link directly from GA4, or you can download a PDF or CSV file and share it via your own email program.
Where’s my GA4 ID?
- Go to your GA4 property and click on “Admin” on the bottom left.
- Under “Property,” click “Data streams.”
- Click on “Web.”
- Click on your web data stream name.
- Your measurement ID is in the top right.